In the context of sauces, “Buffalo” means a hot and cheesy sauce typically to coat chicken wings in, served with blue cheese either in the sauce or crumbled on to finish and perhaps a sprinkle of ranch seasoning or dressing. It was created in the Anchor Bar based in Buffalo, New York back in the ’60s and typically, the hot sauce of choice is one called Frank’s.
… (By the way, is it only me who hears the words “Buffalo” and “New York” and instantly picture a herd of wild buffalo rampaging through a toweringly neon metropolis with Carrie Bradshaw teetering around in 6 inch heels drinking a Cosmopolitan in a hot ‘n’ happening bar and Phoebe playing Smelly Cat outside of Central Perk…? No? Just me then… What can I say? I watched a lot of American sitcoms in the 90s!)
Anyway, my Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken is what I cook when I need my food to envelope me, comfort me with spice and soothe my worries away with rich cheesiness (aka a distraction from all this revision).
I use chicken thighs and serve on a baked potato with loads of salad for crunch. It’s more traditional to serve it in a soft bread roll, so feel free to use a wholemeal one if you want to use your HEB on it.
You’d think it would be hot as hell with all that hot sauce but it’s surprisingly mild – must be the buffering effect of the cheese. Even Hungry Hubby can eat this without breaking out into a sweat! And he really loves this Buffalo Chicken – he says he could eat it everyday!
You could serve this on fluffy jacket potatoes or with a crusty baguette , or just make up a large crunchy green salad and be rather smug about all that vegetation on your plate. A bowl full of Doritos and a movie would turn this into quite a foxy little date night dip too, ooo 😉
- 500g chicken thigh fillets (skinless and boneless)
- Frylight or other one cal oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wings Pepper Sauce*
- 1 tbsp ranch seasoning
- 110g McLelland Strong Spreadable Lighter (cheese spread)
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 pack mushrooms, sliced (about 125g)
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with oil liberally then add in all of the ingredients except the mushrooms. You don't have to stir it at this point.
- Cook on high for 4 hours (low for 6-8 but I prefer to do it hotter and faster to keep some texture to the chicken).
- Add the mushrooms in for the last half hour of cooking and stir well at this point.
- When ready, the chicken will fall apart - use two forks to shred it and mix it into the sauce. If your sauce is too watery and you are using the Instant Pot like I do, then simply turn it onto sauté to reduce it down to your liking (I tend to remove the chicken first then return to the pot when the sauce is thick enough). If not you can transfer the sauce to a pan on the stove and reduce it there, stirring regularly.
- Serve on a bun with plenty of salad and a little grated cheese right on top of the chicken. Napkins are mandatory!
*= Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wings Pepper Sauce is 1/2 a Syn for 3 level tbsp - feel free to substitute for other chilli sauce of your liking but change the Syns accordingly.
- Syn values given are correct at time of writing but may not always be accurate.
- This website, Every Nook & Cranny, is unofficial and in NO WAY part of or representative of Slimming World.
- We aren’t trained by Slimming World nor authorised to give Slimming World advice. Any advice given here should not replace the advice of your Slimming World consultant.
- Always check with Slimming World for the most up to date Syn values using their official resources such as; the Syns calculator, Syns Online on LifelineOnline or by calling the Syns Hotline on (0906) 851 8518.
- Although evernookandcranny.net attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Under no circumstances will everynookandcranny.net be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.
- Please do not take screenshots as these recipes are frequently updated and sharing screenshot images from this website infringes the copyright of Every Nook & Cranny. Please bookmark this page, save to Pinterest or use the share buttons to share to social media platforms.
Amount Per Serving Calories 554 Saturated Fat 16g Cholesterol 286mg Sodium 1129mg Carbohydrates 10g Sugar 4g Protein 52g
This post contains affiliate links, meaning I will earn a little commission if you chose to buy items I’ve advertised, helping me to bring you all these recipes for free!
Like this post? Then why not try these related recipes: